Zero gravity massage chairs have become increasingly popular over the past few years. This is primarily due to the intense relaxation experience that they offer that sets them apart from regular massage chairs – but what exactly are zero gravity massage chairs, and what can they offer you in terms of home massage therapy?
Whereas general massage chairs do recline, zero gravity massage chairs recline to a specific angle, also known as the neutral body position, pushing your feet above your heart level. In this position, your body weight is then distributed evenly around your body, thus giving the zero gravity effect.
In this position, your body has a chance to do more than just relax. In fact, there have been numerous health benefits attributed to using zero gravity massage chairs, but more on that later.
First, let’s take a look at whether zero gravity massage chairs are even worth it.
Are zero gravity massage chairs worth it?
Zero gravity massage chairs tend to be quite expensive due to the needed components to ensure the maximum comfort level and longevity.
Generally speaking, zero gravity massage chairs are definitely worth it due to their relaxation, pain-relieving and general health benefits – they can make fantastic investments.
How much does a zero gravity chair cost?
Depending on the brand and features that you choose, zero gravity massage chairs can cost anywhere from $1,600 to $10,000.
They are still relatively new products on the market, and the design and engineering that goes into ensuring their maximum efficiency are what makes these massage chairs cost so much – by and large.
However, it is essential to understand that a zero gravity massage chair is an investment. Not only will it be a very relaxing tool to have around your home, but it also comes with a long list of other benefits.
What are the benefits of a zero gravity chair?
There are multiple benefits to using a zero gravity chair, beyond relaxation:
- Pain relief: Massages are known for being particularly good at relieving certain types of pain, especially back pain. Massage chairs are good for that, too, especially if they have a heating mechanism to further help with the pain. However, zero gravity chairs are particularly good at reducing lower back pain. By putting the person into the neutral body position, the pressure from the weight on one’s back is taken away, thus significantly reducing pain.
- Regulating blood pressure: Although this is a little lesser known fact, zero gravity massage chairs can indeed help to regulate high blood pressure. As the person relaxes and feels little to no pressure in the zero gravity massage chair, their blood pressure is far more likely to stay low.
- Helping blood circulation: Not only do massages from the zero gravity massage chair help with blood circulation (by delicately moving specific areas of the body, thus relaxing the muscles and nerves and helping with the blood flow), but the low pressure from the neutral body position also helps the blow circulate evenly and easily. As a result of the excellent blood circulation, you will find that certain injuries will heal far better and quicker, and it will help with relaxation. Better blood circulation can also help ensure greater heart health.
- Reducing stress: As you may know, massages in general have proven to be extremely beneficial for reducing stress; however, zero gravity massage chairs have proven to be even more useful! Since zero gravity massage chairs provide a deeper massage (due to the reduced pressure on the body), the stress and pain relief tends to be far more efficient.
- Improves the immune system: Believe it or not, a massage can help to increase the number of lymphocytes in the body. These are the white blood cells that help the body to fight against diseases. Therefore, due to zero gravity massage chairs being able to help increase the number of lymphocytes, certain studies have shown that they can thus help to strengthen the immune system.
Do zero gravity chairs recline all the way back?
The point of zero gravity chairs is that they recline to a certain degree, known as the neutral body position. In this position, a person’s feet are elevated over their heart level. By those means, in order for the person to be comfortable, it is indeed best that they are in an entirely reclined position.
That being said, in most zero gravity chairs, the top half of the body is slightly inclined upwards to ensure that there is no pressure on the top half.
However, some zero gravity massage chairs do offer the chance of being entirely inclined backwards, therefore, to be reclined all the way back. However, in this position, you will not be in the neutral body position and will therefore not be as relaxed and will not have the same pain relief as you would have if you were in the neutral body position.
Are zero gravity chairs safe for seniors?
Zero gravity chairs are definitely safe for seniors. In fact, zero gravity chairs have proven to be extremely beneficial for seniors with hip, back or even knee pain. Since the zero gravity chairs reduce the pressure on the body, this will allow for muscles, nerves, and joints to ‘take a rest’ and allow for the user to gain some significant and natural pain relief.
That being said, not all seniors would be able to use a zero gravity chair without help. Most zero gravity chairs do not come with a lift assistance feature. This means that the person using it may have difficulty getting in and out of the zero gravity chair alone. Of course, should the senior that you are thinking of live with someone who could frequently help them in and out of the zero gravity chair without hurting themselves, then this should not be a problem.
However, if the senior that you are thinking of does not have that kind of assistance, then it would definitely be worth investing in a zero gravity massage chair with lift assistance. Of course, this will cost more to buy. However, it would be absolutely worth their pain relief and relaxation!
Are zero gravity chairs comfortable?
Yes, zero gravity chairs are definitely comfortable!
When it generally comes to furniture, be it beds, couches or even chairs, we all have different opinions regarding what is comfortable. Of course, some of us prefer softer seats, some harder, some with a stronger hold and not, etc., and the same generally comes with massage chairs.
Not every massage chair suits everyone. Although the same general feel is needed in order for the massage balls and airbags to actually work, a certain firmness in the chair is needed. However, the shape, fabric and various other elements can differ depending on the user’s needs.
When it comes to zero gravity massage chairs, the feeling generally remains the same no matter the model. Of course, the styles and quality can differ depending on the brands, but the overall feeling remains the same. Thankfully, no matter the person, the comfort level remains the same with a zero gravity chair!
Of course, if you are using a zero gravity chair for pain relief, then it may feel even more comfortable due to the added bonus of losing your pain; however, if you are using a zero gravity massage chair for relaxation purposes only, then you will still be able to feel unbelievable comfort from the neutral body position and a massage combined!